Hirsh Health Sciences Library
145 Harrison Ave.
Boston, MA 02111
Desk Hours: M-F 7:45am-5pm
This guide was created to introduce you to the following study designs frequently used in the health sciences:
- Clinical Trials
- Randomized Controlled Trial (RCT)
- Systematic reviews/Meta-Analysis
Each tab in this guide describes a particular study design and will include a definition of the design, why it is used, ts format and features, and an example.
Retrieving Articles by Study Design in MEDLINE
The following are ways you can retrieve articles on MEDLINE that employ the study designs discussed this guide.
- Use the Article types filter listed on left-side of the results screen to limit your search results to clinical trials, randomized controlled trails, systematic reviews* and meta-analysis
- To retrieve case-control and cohort studies, add the following to your search:
- "Case-Control Studies" [Mesh]
- "Cohort Studies." [Mesh]