Before You Publish
There are many factors to consider before submitting an article for publication. Some of the considerations include:
- What kind of article will I be writing?
- Do I want to publish in an open access or a traditional journal?
- If choosing open access, how will I pay for the costs of publishing?
- Which journals in my field are the most popular?
- Which journals will be likely to accept my article?
- Does the journal allow me to depost a copy to Tufts' repository and/or PMC?
- Have I cited and formatted all of my information appropriately?
Journal Ranking Metrics
Journal Ranking Metrics, like the Impact Factor, can help you decide if the journal you wish to publish within is considered popular and influential in its field of research. There are multiple ranking metrics in use, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. You can learn more about them by visiting the Journal Ranking page.
The most popular metric, the Impact Factor, can be accessed via Journal Citation Reports in the Web of Knowledge Database.
Writing Guides & Resources
Instructions to Authors in the Health Sciences
Provides instructions to authors for over 3,500 journals in the health and life sciences. All links are to publishers or organizations with editorial responsibilities for the titles.
Journal Citation Reports
Impact factors for journals indexed by ISI's Science Citation Index & Social Science Citation Index.
Journal Abbreviation Sources
Registry of Websites that list or provide access to full journal titles in biosciences, medicine et al.
List of resources for identifying and locating quotations.
Citation Style Guides
American Dental Association (ADA) Style
From the JADA: Journal of the American Dental Association Author Guidelines.
AMA Manual of Style: A Guide for Authors and Editors
Reference WZ 345 A511
American Psychological Association (APA) Style Resources
Summary of rules from the APA's Publication Manual.
Chicago Manual of Style
Reference Z 253 U69
Web Style Manual
Design principles from the Yale Center for Advanced Instructional Media.