Related Reseach Guides
The Boston area provides a wealth of libraries, both academic and specialty, that Tufts students in CEE and related disciplines can use. Note: always double-check a library's visitor policy and hours on its websites prior to planning a visit.
Welcome and Overview
This course guide is provided for Environmental Science ES-27: Public Health Engineering. Its purpose is to help you locate resources for your assignments and the means to evaluate them, as well as to become more familiar with the literature of engineering and related disciplines that address these issues.
Noteworthy Aspects of the Engineering Literature for Environmental Health & Safety
- Environmental Health is a multidisciplinary topic. It requires investigating not only resources in civil and environmental engineering but also materials in public health, medicine, toxicology, statistics, and the natural and social sciences.
- These disciplines apply different vocabularies and terminologies. These differences impact the terms you use in search strategies. Reference books like encyclopedias, dictionaries, and online database thesauri are useful tools for locating discipline-specific terms.
- Both the engineering and the health related literature are broad and include many different formats. For more on the full scope of engineering literature, see the Engineering Literature Overview.
All print and electronic resources are available through the Tisch Library website. This web page is also the best way to access databases and other resources which require password access. The tabs in the Search Our Resources box (pictured below) provide entry to the major sources you will need.
- The Catalog contains records for almost all books, journals, media, and other sources. Exceptions include some government documents, selected electronic journals, and archival materials. More on using the catalog >
- The BLC WorldCat tab lets you locate books, journals, some articles, and other sources from the Tufts Libraries, the Boston Library Consortium (BLC) Libraries, and other libraries worldwide, and to order items through interlibrary loan. More on using BLC WorldCat >
- The Articles/Databases tab lets you locate databases which contain journal articles and other literature by keyword, title, or subject. Clicking on any of the database names takes you to the database.
- The E-Journals tab provides access to e-journals@Tufts, a catalog of electronic journal titles that Tufts subscribes to. A number of these are not listed in the Catalog (if you cannot locate a journal in either the Catalog or e-Journals, then you probably need to order articles from the journal through interlibrary loan). The Electronic Journals pull-down list provides access to top journal collections from major publishers and societies.
- The Research Guides tab provides access to over fifty guides on major subjects as well as course guides. These contain information on key research sources for disciplines as well as tips on search strategies and academic research.
- The Site Search tab enables keyword searching on all pages of the Tisch Library website. It does not search the contents of databases, journals, books, or other holdings, however.