Giving and receiving feedback is a valuable way to practice listening and speaking critically in order to nurture a community of growth. Below are a few tips for going into a critique.
- Make sure you are clear on the intentions of the maker. It's not helpful to simply give feedback that is only about the decisions you would have made. If you aren't sure what the makers intentions are, ask!
- Be specific! When giving feedback, back up your comments with examples from the work.
- Know what you like about your piece ahead of time
- Don't preface your work with too much unnecessary context.
- Articulate what you already know isn't working for you after others have given their feedback
- Be open
It is also recommended that you share your edit with any guests you interviewed or included in your podcast to make sure they feel comfortable with your edit.