**see also, Finding Videos
I. Scholarly and Trade Journal Articles
- Performing Arts Periodicals Database
- In EBSCOhost databases, you can select to search across the following databases:
- Academic Search Premier (all subjects), America: History and Life, Communication & Mass Media Complete, Film & T elevision Literature , Historical Abstracts (World history and culture), LGBTQ+ Source, RILM Abstracts of Music Literature , Women's Studies International.
More Sources For Current Production/Performance Reviews
Magazines, Newspapers, and Companies' Websites
Our most frequently requested newspapers:
From the professionals in the field:
- HowlRound Theatre Commons
- New York Times: Theatre Arts
- American Theatre by the Theatre Communications Group
- Internet Broadway Database
- the Lortel Archive (Off-Broadway)
For past theatre reviews
Historical Magazines and Newspapers
- African American Periodicals 1825-1995
- American Periodicals (1740 - 1940)
- British Periodicals (1680s - 1930s)
- New York Times Online Archive (1851 - three years before the current date)
- Times of London (1785 - 1985)
- 23 Collections of Newspapers and Magazines (1700 - present)
- Chronicling America (1690 - present)
- Early American Newspapers (1690 -1922)
- Newspapers.com World Collection (1800-1999)
II. JumboSearch for BooksNote: Many of the contemporary plays you are looking at may not have been addressed directly in academic books, yet. However, you can search for books on such topics as "theater and political activism" , "theater and society", and "theater and social change". For examples, these recent titles at Tisch library might be of interests to you:
- Bigotry on Broadway: an anthology
- Inclusive character analysis
- No safe spaces: re-casting race, ethnicity, and nationality in American theater
- Racial and ethnic diversity in the performing arts workforce
- Political and protest theatre after 9/11: patriotic dissent
- Censoring racial ridicule: Irish, Jewish, and African American struggles over race and representation, 1890-1930
- Migration and stereotypes in performance and culture.
- Performances that change the Americas.
- Performing care: new perspectives on socially engaged performance
- Privileged spectatorship: theatrical interventions in White supremacy.
- Reclaiming Greek drama for diverse audiences: an anthology of adaptations and interviews
- Scenes from the Revolution: Making Political Theatre 1968-2018.
- Shakespeare in a divided America: what his plays tell us about our past and future.
Note: The samples provided here may be classical plays, but we are actually researching for accounts of significant productions or adaptations, past and current:
- Antigone on the contemporary world stage
- Vision and stagecraft in Sophocles
- Shakespeare and the American musical