Some Background Readings:
- Latin American history goes to the movies: understanding Latin America's past through film.
- Latin American cinema: a comparative history.
- Cinema and social change in Latin America: conversations with filmmakers
- La cinta ancha: brechas de género en el cine peruano.
- Magical reels:: a history of cinema in Latin America
- New Trends in Argentine and Brazilian Cinema
- Remaking Brazil: contested national identities in contemporary Brazilian cinema
- National identity in 21st-century Cuban cinema: screening the repeating island.
- Mex-Cine: Mexican filmmaking, production, and consumption in the twenty-first century
Path of Discovery in JumboSearch, (our book catalog and more)
- Find a relevant book (e.g., from your assigned readings?)
- Note the descriptive language of the Catalog record.
- Use that language in further searches
e.g., Click on subjects in the record to see further results and related topics; and/or combine these subject phrases with other keywords for a more focused search:
Title:: Nation, culture and class in Argentine cinema : crisis and representation (1998-2005) Author Oyarzabal, Santiago Subjects: Culture in motion pictures Motion pictures -- Argentina -- History Motion pictures -- Social aspects -- Argentina National characteristics, Argentine, in motion pictures Social classes in motion pictures
1. All Subjects
2. Latin American Studies
3. Film Studies and Related Subject Databases
- In EBSCOhost databases, you can select to search across the following databases, among others:
- Communication & Mass Media Complete
- Film & Television Literature Index
- Historical Abstracts (World history and culture)
- Women's Studies International
Tip: Crash the Research Party
Subject-specific databases such as Film and Television Literature Index. is where film historians and scholars are having their research party, sharing with each other their scholarship. Throw titles/filmmakers that interest you into the database; then "listen to" the conversations about them: how scholars have studied them? If you don’t yet have specific films/filmmakers in mind, entering keywords of topical themes, and observe what films are being associated with these topics, how and why?
- Kanopy (all subjects and genres)
Open Online Collections
- Retina Latina,a platform promoting and showing films from Latin America.
Brazilian Cinema Novo
- Cinematica Brasileira: .
- Arquivo Estado de Sao Paulo Repositório Digital
- Biblioteca Brasiliana Guita e Jose Mindlin:
Argentine Tercer Cinema
Cuban Cinema de la Revolución
Andean "Indigenista" film